White M Hairstreak

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 11 20:06:52 EDT 2012

Although in New York, this is a record worth passing along. While hawk
watching at the summit of Hook Mountain in Rockland county, I watched a
bright blue lep fly past me. I briefly thought moth, although something like
this seemed out of place in the north. I watched it land on a rock about 20
feet away. There was the unmistakable form of a hairstreak. Looking into the
sun, I couldn't see markings and it took off before I could swing around to
the other side. But no doubt, this was a White M Hairstreak. This site has a
history of early season White Ms, but I'm talking April. I have a record as
early as April 18. But March 11 - wow!

Hook Mt. is a normally a good spot for early Mourning Cloaks, but there was
only a brief appearance of a pair. One other lep flying around landed in
front of me and appeared to be a Clover Looper Moth - quite early for that,
too. I think it's going to be an interesting spring.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY