White M Hairstreak

wripenn at aol.com wripenn at aol.com
Tue Mar 13 22:43:37 EDT 2012

Larry,

Thanks for compiling this interesting list of YPM vouchers. Steve's extremely early m-album got me thinking. The early date for this species in Pennsylvania is April 6th. Over a 39-year period of record keeping, I've tallied 6 individuals on this date, but none earlier.  Thus this date serves as a pretty good marker for the first-appearance of this species in our state in spring. In the current atypical year, our floral phenology is about a 3-4 weeks ahead of standard spring. Using that as a guide, conceivably, an m-album could start flying in Pennsylvania between March 9-16th. There are probably only a few teneral males out there in the whole state. The trouble is finding them. Virtually impossible!  This is why Steve's finding is so remarkable. He was in the right spot at the right time ... and the back story is he knew what he was seeing.

David