[Ctleps-l] PVS release update

Emmayct at cs.com Emmayct at cs.com
Thu May 17 23:51:02 EDT 2012

Yesterday I reported that I had released 2 Pipevine Swallowtails that I had
reared out
late last summer and overwintered as chrysalis in the garage.

Since it was around 4 pm and I had to go to work, I set them out on a
fuschia hanging basket in a sheltered spot just outside a sliding patio door.
Mom kept an eye on them and said that one took off. The other tried to fly but
flew weakly and was picked off by a Catbird.

So much for bad tasting.

I have seen a catbird take a few newly released Black Swallowtails one year.

I wonder how it liked the taste of Pipevine as compared to Black
Swallowtails.

I hope it tasted so bad that it will bother neither this year.

Maryann in Niantic

BTW, another female PVS eclosed tonight. I will release her in the darkness
and hope no bats come along.

</HTML>