[Ctleps-l] Zabulon Skipper 3rd brood (NY)

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 6 18:00:09 EDT 2012

I was surprised by coming across a fresh male Zabulon Skipper today at Floyd
Bennet Field, Kings co. NY. In my estimation, this is a distinctly double
brooded species at this latitude (n. NJ, s. NY, s. CT), and the second brood
had been done for a while. I did find references to records in October, but
without condition of the individuals. A couple of books I checked noted a
second brood into October. Pearl Crescent and Peck's Skipper, to name a
couple of species, seem to be continuously on the wing from the time the
second brood emerges until they disappear in the fall (and I had a fresh
Peck's today). They surely must be triple brooded, but without the third
brood clearly delineated from the second (as the first and second broods
are). Maybe I'm making something of nothing, but I'm looking at this as
something unusual - a rare case of a third brood of Zabulon Skipper at the
northern limit of its range. Here on Long Island, the second brood was about
10 days early this year, so maybe that gave them a jump on the next
generation. It'll probably be just a partial brood (such as we've discussed
here before regarding Long Dash), but would be interesting to monitor if
you're in area with Zabulons (weather permitting).

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY