[Ctleps-l] Derby butterflies

pjdegennaro at aol.com pjdegennaro at aol.com
Sat Oct 6 21:45:30 EDT 2012

10/6 - I arrived at Lighthouse Pt, New Haven around 9 AM for some birding. Butterfly highlights were a Gray Hairstreak (as Lenny B noted) and the sheer number of Monarchs, especially earlier across from the garden where they lined the shrubs sunning themselves.

On the way home, I stopped at a few places in Derby.

At St. Peter's Cemetery:

LITTLE YELLOW 3
RED-BANDED HAIRSTREAK 1 (fresh)
A couple pix of the Little Yellows: http://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/8061093420/in/photostream/

and at the buddleias near the Kellogg Center at Osbornedale State Park:

RED-BANDED HAIRSTREAK 1 (extremely worn)
Fiery Skipper many
Tawny-edged Skipper 2 (late)
Sachem 3
OCOLA SKIPPER 1-2
and many others

Some pictures of the Ocola: http://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/8061120933/in/photostream/
and I finally got a dorsal shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/8061127826/in/photostream/

Also, my brother Steve says he saw an Ocola Skipper in the yard yesterday. His description was good, and he's seen both female Sachems and Ocolas before.

The Red-banded Hairstreak at St. Peter's was very fresh. If there was a generation in May, could this individual be part of a fourth brood?

Peter DeGennaro
Boston College/Naugatuck