[Ctleps-l] Red-banded Hairstreaks

pjdegennaro at aol.com pjdegennaro at aol.com
Sat Aug 17 00:23:09 EDT 2013

8/16 - Butterfly of the day goes to Red-banded Hairstreak - 13 for the day over four locations. Never gotten double digits for this species in CT before.

West Rock Ridge SP, New Haven - overlook area:

Black Swallowtail 1
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 1
Red-banded Hairstreak 1
Summer Azure 1
Tawny-edged Skipper 1
Zabulon Skipper 1

Also, I spotted three Antlions (adults). Can anyone ID the species? I'm thinking Brachynemurus abdominalis but that would be rare in CT: http://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/9525646049/in/photostream/

Mount St. Peter's Cemetery, Derby, in the back - 2 Red-banded Hairstreaks

Osbornedale SP, Derby - cloudy basically the entire time, species diversity ramped up every time the sun came out. Skipper numbers and diversity especially hurt by the clouds:

dark female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 1 - Photos show that this is a different butterfly than the one found by Steve Spector in the same place a couple weeks ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/9528441336/in/photostream/

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 20
Spicebush Swallowtail 10+
Cabbage White 3
Clouded Sulphur 1
Orange Sulphur 2
Red-banded Hairstreak 8 - conservative count
Eastern-tailed Blue 3
Summer Azure 6
Great Spangled Fritillary 3
Pearl Crescent 1
Common Buckeye 1
Viceroy 2
Common Wood-nymph 1
Monarch 1
Silver-spotted Skipper 5-10
Least Skipper 3
Peck's Skipper 5
Tawny-edged Skipper 4
Zabulon Skipper 10

Crazy that I've seen more Viceroys than Monarchs so far this year.

Naugatuck yard - 2 Red-banded Hairstreaks

Peter DeGennaro
Naugatuck