[Ctleps-l] Re; Guilford field trip report

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sat Aug 24 22:06:39 EDT 2013

On Saturday, 8/24, a total of 22 butterfliers joined me on the CBA  field
trip to Guilford.  It was a successful day; a total of 26 species  were
sighted by trip participants.  Lists by locality are as follows:

Jared Eliot Preserve (a Guilford Land Trust property)

Black Swallowtail (2)
Giant Swallowtail (2)
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (1)
Spicebush Swallowtail (4)
Cabbage White (15)
Clouded Sulphur (1)
Orange Sulphur (8)
Red-banded Hairstreak (2-4)
Gray Hairstreak (1)
Eastern Tailed-Blue (1)
Summer Azure (1)
Pearl Crescent (3)
Red Admiral (1)
Common Buckeye (1)
Hackberry Emperor (2)
Monarch (2)
Silver-spotted Skipper (6)
Least Skipper (4)
Tawny-edged Skipper (4)
Sachem (1)
Broad-winged Skipper (25)
Zabulon Skipper (2)

Chaffinch Island Park

Black Swallowtail (2)
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (1)
Cabbage White (2)
Orange Sulphur (1)
Eastern Tailed-Blue (1)
Summer Azure (1)
American Snout (1)
Monarch (1)
Zabulon Skipper (1)

Spencer Creek Preserve (a Guilford Land Trust property)

Black Swallowtail (1)
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (3)
Spicebush Swallowtail (4)
Cabbage White (6)
Clouded Sulphur (2)
Great Spangled Fritillary (4)
Pearl Crescent (2)
Hackberry Emperor (5) (Including one individual photographed perching on a
trip participant)
Tawny Emperor (1)
Monarch (2)
Silver-spotted Skipper (5)
Least Skipper (2)
Peck's Skipper (2)
Tawny-edged Skipper (4)
Zabulon Skipper (10)

On the way home, I stopped at Van Wilgen's Nursery in North Branford where
I found another three species for the day list.  All butterflies were
sighted on the Buddleia.

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (1)
Cabbage White (2)
Clouded Sulphur (2)
Variegated Fritillary (1) (My first of the year)
Red Admiral (1)
Monarch (1)
Silver-spotted Skipper (8)
Wild Indigo Duskywing (1) (very fresh; another species for the day  list)
Fiery Skipper (2) (My first of the year)
Peck's Skipper (1)
Tawny-edged Skipper (3)
Sachem (10)
Zabulon Skipper (2)