[Ctleps-l] Caterpillars, birds and trees lecture

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Thu Feb 7 00:35:44 EST 2013

501st Meeting of the
Connecticut Entomological Society
How caterpillar diet breadth mediates bird protection of trees in Connecticut
forests by
Dr. Michael S. Singer

February 15, 2013
Exley Science Center, Room 121,
265 Church St, Middletown,
Wesleyan University,
Middletown, CT 06459

Abstract: The connection between top predators and ecosystem properties, such as
primary production, is an important area of ecological research. In Connecticut
forests, the health of bird and tree populations are of special public interest.
However, the ecological connection between them has received limited study. In
this talk Dr. Singer will describe research from his lab that looks at this
connection through an important shared link in the food web: caterpillars.

Meeting will begin at 7:30 pm followed by the featured speaker.
As always, exhibits are welcome!
Directions to Exley Science Center
Exley Science Center, Room 121,
265 Church St, Middletown,
Wesleyan University,
Middletown, CT 06459

Parking along Lawn Avenue or in the Wesleyan parking lot off of Lawn Avenue is
recommended. Lawn Avenue is the south side of the building. Church Street
parallels Lawn Avenue.

>From New Haven and points south
Take I-95 North to I-91 North. At exit 18, take Route 691/66 East. Route 66
becomes
Washington Street in Middletown. Take right onto High Street.
Or, take I-95 north to the Merritt/Wilbur Cross Parkway (Route 15 North) to
Route 66
Eastbound. Take right onto High Street. Take a right onto Lawn Avenue.

>From points northeast
Take I-91 South to exit 22 for Route 9 Southbound, At exit 15, turn right onto
Route 66
West (Washington Street), turn left onto High Street. Take a right onto Lawn
avenue.

For a campus map visit
http://www.wesleyan.edu/about/images/maps/campus_map_2012oct_v4.jpg

Lisa Wahle, Chester