[Ctleps-l] Butterfly sightings- Hollenbeck Preserve, Canaan

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Tue Jul 9 18:13:39 EDT 2013

On Monday, July 8th, I surveyed butterflies in a small section of
Hollenbeck Preserve, the section adjacent to the intersection of Page Rd. and  Route
7.

Despite the afternoon heat (I was in the Preserve between 1:30 PM and 2:30
PM), I was able to find a total 11 species of butterflies.  The list for
the day was as follows:

Black Swallowtail (1)
Clouded Sulphur (1)
Great Spangled Fritillary (2)
Silver-bordered Fritillary (1)
Baltimore Checkerspot (5)
Eyed Brown (4) (My first of the year)
Common Wood Nymph (3)
Monarch (2)
Northern Broken Dash (1)
Little Glassywing (1)
Dion Skipper (1) (My first of the year)

I suspect that if I visited the Preserve in the morning when temperatures
were cooler, I probably could have come up with a nice list for the day.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford