[Ctleps-l] Butterfly sightings- West Rock Ridge St. Park, Hamden-New Haven

Wagner, David david.wagner at uconn.edu
Sat Jun 22 17:51:34 EDT 2013

I agree with Steve that it is too early for Edwards here (fresh adults were flying in Ohio last weekend at Mothapalooza).  The only Satyrium possible, now, would be the Oak Hairstreak.

Ban Gagliardi, my graduate student, and I are doing a study on the Oak Hairstreak (for the State of Massachusetts) this year and next, and would appreciate hearing any report of the Oak Hairstreak this year.

On a side note: we were beating for caterpillars atop Great Blue Hill In Boston recently and ran into Edward’s Hairstreak caterpillars in such great numbers that we had to stop beating the oaks—got tired of individually reattaching the larvae.  We then started searching for larvae by eye, by first looking for their attendant ants.   It was not difficult to locate larvae—all were being tended by 3-4 Lasius ants.  Got some great pictures.   Will send out a blog link with images next week.

Best,

David L. Wagner Professor
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06268-3043
o: 860-486-2139; c: 860-942-1796; f: 860-486-6364