[Ctleps-l] Caterpillars at school

David Cappaert cappaert at comcast.net
Thu Jun 27 08:00:13 EDT 2013

All - I've introduced myself to this list a couple of times ... I am an entomologist, working as a "resident scientist" at a Hartford magnet school. Because we have a couple of greenhouses, I am always looking into animals I can rear through the cold (school year) months.

Butterflies under consideration: black swallowtails, red admirals, cabbage whites, painted ladies, monarchs.
Moths: Cecropia (I'd rear on evergreen ash), luna (I have willow leaves year round), milkweed tussock moth, tiger moths.

I would add to the list if I run across other species for which I can maintain a host plant.

So if any of you become aware of a source of caterpillars that might work for us, I am interested. Of course I will also look for adults, but as I am currently on crutches that is a bit tricky.

Also: I have a new colleague, an 8th grader, Matt  Nochisaki, that is an uncommonly knowledgeable entomologist/naturalist. His particular expertise is sphinx moths, and I know he would be thrilled to hear of any discoveries of sphingids you might make this year.

Thanks, David
David Cappaert
Greenhouse/Vivarium Scientist
Environmental Sciences Magnet School at Mary Hooker
Serving students Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 8
440 Broadview Terrace
Hartford, CT 06106
860.695.3804
734.635-7750 cell