[Ctleps-l] 3 Moth Species Today

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 2 19:19:41 EST 2013

Given the weather, I haven't been thinking much about moths (although I did
buy my first bananas of the season this week, so they'd be ripe for baiting
when the time comes). As with my January 20 report of a Toothed Phigalia, I
happened to be driving past Muttontown Preserve (Nassau co. LI). Around the
nature center lights, there were a Spring Cankerworm Moth (Paleacrita
vernata), White-spotted Cankerworm Moth (Paleacrita merriccata), and a
Straight-toothed Sallow (Eupsilia vinulenta) -- all early dates for me.

By the way, I heard of a Mourning Cloak a couple of weeks ago in Queens.

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY