[Ctleps-l] Giant Swallowtails

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Sat May 25 11:00:48 EDT 2013

Late last summer we noticed a Giant Swallowtail and a Black Swallowtail
ova-positing on Common Rue, Ruta graveolens, in our garden.  When the eggs
hatched we rescued the caterpillars and brought them inside our screened porch
so they would not be predated by wasps.  We continued to feed the cats Common
Rue and wintered them over in their crysalis stage. Over the last 5 days one
Black Swallowtail and three Giant Swallowtail butterflies eclosed and we
released them into the yard.

We have had Common Rue growing in the yard for a few years but last summer was
the first time we saw butterflies laying eggs on them.  Common Rue is a nice
perennial with blue green foliage and small yellow flowers.  It grows about 24"
tall and 18" wide, likes full sun and is not invasive.  It can be found in
garden centers and some nurseries.

Carol & Gary Lemmon