[Ctleps-l] ZEBRA SWALLOWTAIL, Bridgeport

Gall, Lawrence lawrence.gall at yale.edu
Mon Jul 14 18:02:42 EDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Stephen Spector <charsjs at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From Charla & Steve Spector, 7/11/14, 4:30 PM, Monarch on Buddleia in
> home garden, our home FOY.  Very fresh, now touring nectar sources in
> the neighborhood.
> Question: Any "official" response to Frank Mantlik's Zebra?  When was
> the most recent sighting before Frank's?
> charsjs at sbcglobal.net

Hi, the Spectors asked about any "official response" to Frank Mantlik's sighting on 10 July 2014 of a Zebra Swallowtail (Protographium marcellus) in Bridgeport CT.  By definition there isn't any such response, as CTLEPS-L is unmoderated and exists as a community resource for everyone to enjoy, use, participate, etc.  Speaking as one of the co-authors of the CT Butterfly Atlas, Frank's detailed report was quite intriguing and I don't see a reason to doubt it, since the Zebra Swallowtail is a quite recognizable butterfly both in pattern and behavior.  However, there wasn't a photo voucher (they do fly fast).  Perhaps Frank or someone else will be able to snap a shot this summer.  To my knowledge no photo voucher or specimen voucher exists yet for the Zebra Swallowtail in CT, but it would be a pleasure to be proven wrong on that.  The CT Butterfly Atlas (2007) stated: "CBAP did not find any Connecticut specimens of the Zebra Swallowtail, although there are old sight records attributed to both Alexander Klots and Charles Remington. Klots (1951) noted its range as including 'Southern New England (rare).'"  The 21 August 2011 sighting of a Zebra Swallowtail in Guilford that was sent to CTLEPS-L was also unaccompanied by a photo or specimen.  Best, Larry

- - -

Lawrence F. Gall, Ph.D.

Head, Computer Systems Office
Informatics Manager, Entomology