[Ctleps-l] Pipevine Swallowtail, Bridgeport

Richard Mohr rumohr06 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 18 17:25:17 EDT 2014

Great sightings. I planted a pipevine in my yard a couple of years ago. No visitors yet this year. Ruthie

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:13 PM, Frank Mantlik <mantlik at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

7/17  - Bridgeport, Pleasure Beach.- PIPEVINE SWALLOWTAIL
Exactly one week ago, I saw a ZEBRA SWALLOWTAIL fly by me while I was conducting a Piping Plover/Least Tern Survey. Today, 7/17 I was back there for another survey. I decided to check out the flower plantings (Salvia and Coneflower) at the renovated beach pavilion. It would have been a miracle if the Zebra was nectaring there. Not much but a Cabbage White. But adjacent is a patch of blooming Milkweed, where I saw 2 dark Swallowtails feeding. One had a pronounced amount of shimmering blue on the upper hind wing, so I took a few photos. I just checked the Glassberg book, and it was my life PIPEVINE SWALLOWTAIL!  That beach sure is providing some pleasure!

Frank Mantlik
Stratford