[Ctleps-l] Naugatuck - Acadian Hairstreaks, Hoary Edge+

Peter J De Gennaro degennap at bc.edu
Sun Jun 29 23:52:31 EDT 2014

6/29 - A lot more activity at the Naugatuck Industrial Park today compared
with recently. Highlights included three Acadian Hairstreaks dogfighting.
All three came down to mate, but after a minute one of the males lost out
and flew off. Photo of the pair mating:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/14539603645/in/photostream/lightbox/

I also had a Hoary Edge on milkweed, a first for the "park" (#60):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/14516491586/in/photostream/lightbox/

Full list, all seen along Raytkwich Road:

Cabbage White 2
Coral Hairstreak 1
Acadian Hairstreak 3
Banded Hairstreak 13
Eastern Tailed Blue 1
Summer Azure 1
Great Spangled Fritillary 5
Red Admiral 1
Little Wood Satyr 2
Silver Spotted Skipper 7
Hoary Edge 1
Wild Indigo Duskywing 1
Tawny-edged Skipper 1
Northern Broken Dash 4
Little Glassywing 4
Homobok Skipper 1

Also a Dun Skipper and Red Admiral at my house today.

And for those in the area, there's a nice patch of milkweed in a vacant lot
along Bristol Street in Waterbury. I've seen nothing worth noting there
yet, but there are hundred or so milkweed plants blooming.

Peter DeGennaro
Naugatuck