[Ctleps-l] Lyme butterflies

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Mon Sep 1 10:16:50 EDT 2014

On Saturday, August 30th, I visited a power line right-of-way in Lyme where
 I found a total of 9 species of butterflies.  The list for the day is as
follows:

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (3)
American Copper (4)
Gray Hairstreak (1)
Eastern Tailed-Blue (15)
Great Spangled Fritillary (6)
Crescent sp. (3+; see notes below)
Silver-spotted Skipper (1)
Peck's Skipper (1)
Northern Broken Dash (1)

Notes

The 3 crescents that I saw were all males with orange tipped antennae; the
upper side of the hind wings were unmarked orange except for 2 black veins
closest to the insect's body.

While not conclusive, these are field marks for diminuta, a
species/subspecies in the Northern Crescent complex.

These individuals were different than the Pearl Crescents seen on  last
week's CBA field trip in Guilford.  Those individuals had completely  black
antennae and black veins across the entire upper side of the hind  wing.

If anyone is photographing Crescents, preferably males flying in CT in
August, I'd be interested in seeing them.

I am attempting to determine flight times for the entities in CT in  this
Crescent complex.

Sincerely yours,

Lenny Brown
Wallingford