[Ctleps-l] Niantic butterflies

Emmayct at cs.com Emmayct at cs.com
Sun Sep 14 15:55:36 EDT 2014

5 pipevine Swallowtails remain around the yard from my 20 or so releases so
far this summer.  Last thurs I had 2 females eclose and had to go out, so I
set them on zinnias to allow them to dry their wings. Before too long two
males came along and I had 2 pairs mating right on the flowers. They remained
for at least 3 hours. I was amazed how quickly the males found them and how
easily they were accepted.(of course, they couldn't fly away yet)

Found 5 more Giant Swallowtail eggs late last week. A few more Black
Swallowtail eggs and a few more groups of Pipevine eggs. Time is drawing short for
them to mature enough to pupate.

My yard is full of skippers, Mostly Sachems and a few pecks, several Silver
Spotted.

Also one Monarch
Gray Hairstreak
American Lady
and Two Painted Ladies, large and colorful
And, FINALLY, a Red Banded Hairstreak very fresh

Maryann in Niantic</HTML>