[Ctleps-l] New Hampshire Trip 8/23-8/24

Raymond Simpson raymond.simpson at yale.edu
Wed Aug 26 12:24:42 EDT 2015

Hey all,

This is a bit out of Connecticut but probably of interest to northeastern
lepidopterists and observers alike.  Me and a friend visited the
Connecticut Lakes region of New Hampshire for a 2 day trip with some night
collecting in between.  We had to move the trip from Friday and Sat. to
Sunday and Monday because of the weather.  Weather eneded being warm in the
mid to low 70's and partly cloudy.  We had a little misty rain during the
evening and morning and it probably squashed the Catocala because bait and
light were poor for Catocala.  Decent light though with a bunch of
plusiids, a Black-rimmed Prominent, and Catocala badia and C. blandula (new
species for me).  Definately high potential on a dryer night though.

Back to butterflies, we had a GREAT 2 days with 22 species confirmed.  This
was well higher than my one day count from last year, and much higher
numbers for select species.  We did not keep official numbers on the
commonest species.  Common would mean over 20 and abundant over 50

Cabbage White - 4 (netted and confirmed not Mustard)
Clouded Sulphur - common
Orange Sulphur - 10+
Eastern Tailed Blue - 4 (is Western up here?)
Summer Azure - 1 (netted and confirmed)
Atlantis Fritillary - common (beat to decent condition)
Great Spangled Fritillary - 1 (maybe more but one confirmed in hand, very
small)
White Admiral - 1 (fly-by up into trees but unmistakeable)
Green Comma - abundant (all over roads and on nectar)
Gray Comma - 6+ (less common than last year)
Milbert's Tortoiseshell - 4 (3 on nectar, 1 on road)
Mourning Cloak - 4 (beautiful maroon color above)
Silverbordered Fritillary - common (yes there were probably 2 dozen we saw
at multiple stops)
American Lady - 3
Red Admiral - 6+
Northern Pearly-eye - 2
Common Wood-nymph - 1 (dark form with barely yellowish around spot, not
flying fast)
Branded Skipper - 7 (4 netted and at least 3 flybys, 2 on Scotts Bog and
the rest around E. Inlet in dryer cropped meadows, 2 fresh females and the
rest males)
Pecks Skipper - 10+ (tiny and dark like Swarthy sized)
Long Dash - 1 (male vouchered, long wing dash with ventral chevron,
extremely late or second brood?)
Brown Skipper sp. - 2 (probably Little Glassywing or Dun Skipper but
heavily worn and brown)
Least Skipper - 1 (confirmed in net)

Also a free flying Catocala concumbens that I missed (darn).

Odonates were abundant with Sympetrum being abundant.  Aeshnids were along
Scott Bog and were mostly A. umbrosa but I didn't net many of these.  There
was a common Lestes too with many mating pairs.  Also got my first
Ocellated Darner (Boyeria) at light.

Tiger Beetles included:
Cicindela duodecimguttata (road and streambeds)
C. limbata (road and streambeds)
C. tranquebarica (sand near grassy areas)
C. longilabris (in grassy areas)
C. repanda? (sandy patches)

Good times!

Ray Simpson