[Ctleps-l] Harvesters - be on the lookout

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 24 20:24:43 EDT 2015

On a butterfly count in Nassau county July 18, Al and Lois Lindberg found a
Harvester, second record for the count. I had never seen one on Long Island
and met Al the next day to see the spot. I might have seen one in flight,
but couldn't confirm. I did note what beech trees look like (and aphids).
Yesterday, I was in my home turf of Alley Pond Park, Queens. Last night, I
sent an e-mail to Rich Kelly (some of you named Lenny might know him),
saying the following:

Now that I got to paying attention, there is a lot of beech in Alley
(Queens). I
didn't find any aphids, though. I would think however, that as much as I've
been in Alley over the years, there would have been a chance encounter if
Harvesters were there.

Would you believe that today I found one? You can't make this stuff up. A
picture is posted on my web site, on the butterfly page.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.stevewalternature.com_&d=AwICAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wPbNkt6T_H4X7m_PlvSFCGU2a9-csNvfRK2IVMi-mp0&m=_t2IclQPEkZhEfGazBUKs-BLL49Z-rEyqMXtlLeN91M&s=TE2KM34OlvORu54EORmuQEsLfsNqm2m63TIytg9hO78&e=

Beyond that, it changes things in my eyes. You don't have to find alders
along a river. I would think that there are beech trees in many woodland
areas. So why now for this sighting? Are Harvesters moving around,
prospecting for new areas? I would be on the lookout. Surprisingly, they
seem somewhat reminiscent of Gypsy Moths in flight, at least in terms of
color. But if you see something like that flying more powerfully or
purposely than erratically, pay attention to where it might land.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY