[Ctleps-l] Flaherty Field Trial Area-Crescents

Lenny Brown epmanshell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 18:08:46 EDT 2015

On Saturday, July 25th, I returned to Flaherty Field Trial Area in East
Windsor where I found a total of 18 species.  The list for the day is as
follows:

Black Swallowtail (1)
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (8)
Cabbage White (9)
Clouded Sulphur (12)
Orange Sulphur (3)
Eastern Tailed-Blue (6)
Summer Azure (1)
Great Spangled Fritillary (8)
Silver-bordered Fritillary (4)
Pearl Crescent/Crescent sp. (180)*
Viceroy (14)
Common Ringlet (64)
Common Wood Nymph (75)
Monarch (2)
*Horace's Duskywing (2)*
Wild Indigo Duskywing (6)
Black Dash (1)
Dun Skipper (2)

* Two broods of crescents are currently flying at this site, worn examples
of Pearl Crescent, presumably part of the brood that was flying two weeks
ago, and a very fresh brood with somewhat different markings than the worn
Pearl Crescents.

This very fresh brood cannot be the descendants of the brood that emerged
2-3 weeks ago and is still flying.

Therefore, I am very interested in seeing photographs of freshly emerged
crescents that are flying during the last week of July and the first week
of August.

It's possible they may be a different crescent species.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford