[Ctleps-l] Mansfield Hollow Dam 5/24

Raymond Simpson raymond.simpson at yale.edu
Wed May 27 18:51:06 EDT 2015

Hey all,

I have had no time to do anything by day with all the work in the lab, but
I finally got to go out to Mansfield Hollow to see what was flying on
Sunday.  I ran into another photographer while out there and pointed out
some elfins.

The Frosted Elfin is having a very good year from the numbers I saw.  There
were three spots I was seeing them, and sometimes I saw 3-4 dogfighting at
a time.  They were ovipositing on Baptisia but also in the lupine patches.

Cabbage White - 1
Eastern Tailed Blue - 1
Cherry Gall Azure - 1
Frosted Elfin - 16+
American Copper - 3
Redspotted Purple - 1
Little Wood Satyr - 6
Red Admiral - 2
American Lady - 1
Pearl Crescent - 20+
Cobweb Skipper - 10+
Dusted Skipper - 10+
Dreamy Duskywing - 10+
Juvenal's Duskywing - 6+

Odes:
Springtime Darner - 1
Stream Cruiser - 4
Twin-spotted Spiketail - 1
Dot-tailed Whiteface - 10+
Lancet Clubtail - 50+
Chalk-fronted Corporal - 30+
Painted Skimmer - 1
Common Baskettail - 1
Common Whitettail - 2
Bluet sp. - 5
Lestes sp. - 1

Mothies:
Grammia figurata

While at my relative's house in Burlington, I noted a massive amount of
Gypsy Moth larvae.  It might be a bad year for them, as are the Tent
Caterpillars again.  The cherries are almost all defoliated.

Ray Simpson