[Ctleps-l] Re; Butterfly sightings

Lenny Brown epmanshell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 20:07:45 EDT 2016

During the morning of July 7th, Steve Rosenthal and I visited different
sites in Naugatuck Industrial Park where we found a total of 21 species of
butterflies.  The list for the day is as follows:

Black Swallowtail (1)
Spicebush Swallowtail (1)
Cabbage White (1)
Clouded Sulphur (1)
Orange Sulphur (4)
American Copper (1)
Coral Hairstreak (2) (end of Great Hill Rd.)
Acadian Hairstreak (4) (Raytkwich Rd. & Rado Dr.)
Edwards' Hairstreak (1) (end of Great Hill Rd.)
Hickory Hairstreak (1) (Raytkwich Rd.)
Eastern Tailed-Blue (3)
Summer Azure (2)
Great Spangled Fritillary (15)
Question Mark (1)
Little Wood-Satyr (3)
Common Wood Nymph (6)
Silver-spotted Skipper (1)
Wild Indigo Duskywing (30)
European Skipper (2)
Little Glassywing (6)
Dun Skipper (8)

Two closing comments.

We were surprised that we could not find any Banded Hairstreaks.  Normally,
they are the most common species of* Satyrium* hairstreaks.

By 11:30 AM, butterflies appeared to be showing signs of distress from the
heat, e.g. by perching in shaded spots and becoming very sluggish.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford