[Ctleps-l] Steep Rock today

Peary Stafford pearydstafford at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 21:25:11 EDT 2016

BK and I got out for a while today and were rewarded with a bunch of nice
butterflies.  At the riding ring at Steep Rock, Hidden Valley and
Macricostas (with Jim Dugan) we teased out:
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Spicebush Swallowtail
Cabbage White
BRONZE COPPER-- a beautiful female hunkering down out of the breeze
Eastern Tailed-Blue
Great Spangled Fritillary -- about 8, and the first we've seen this year.
Pearl Crescent
Baltimore Checkerspot -- 8 cats
American Lady
Viceroy -- probably 8 individuals in all
Little Wood Satyr
Common RInglet -- numbers diminishing
MONARCH -- One individual in the distance that BK and I chased down to get
good looks. It was checking out all the close-to-flowering milkweed.
Silver-spotted Skipper
Juvenal's Duskywing
European Skipper -- tons
Least Skipper -- about 3