[Ctleps-l] Another Little Yellow at Stratford Point

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Sep 2 21:24:40 EDT 2016

I had a second Little Yellow at Stratford Point later in the afternoon around 5:45.  Well I assume it was a second one since it was on the other side of the property.

On a related note, there are three species (at least) of bush-clover in bloom on the new "Two Roads" trail at the Point.  This trail was just recently cut and goes up from below the receiver array on the west side of the garage and winds down the hill to the other side of pines along the driveway: Slender Bush-clover Lespedeza virginica, Round-headed Bush-clover Lespedeza capitata and Hairy Bush-clover Lespedeza hirta.

These are all proving to be butterfly magnets.  Every time I have checked them I have found something new, in addition to the swarms of Eastern Tailed-blue and tons of Common Buckeyes that always seem to be there.   I've had the following species nectaring on the bush-clovers in the last few weeks and haven't really spent that much time looking: Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachems, Swarthy Skippers, Least Skipper, Dun Skipper, Tawny-edged Skipper, Little Yellow, Orange and Clouded Sulphur, Cabbage White, American Lady, Red-banded Hairstreak, Gray Hairstreak (3 on same plant at one point),  Monarch, Pearl Crescent and Black Swallowtail.   Who knows what folks will find using the bush-clovers with more eyes looking.

Speaking of coverage, the "famous" patch of goldenrod is starting to bloom now.  I'm still torn between Lance-leaved Goldenrod (Flat-topped Goldenrod), Euthamia graminifolia and Slender Fragrant Goldenrod, Euthamia caroliniana for the ID of the goldenrods in that patch.  In any case that patch has a knack for attracting a stunning variety of butterflies and other interesting pollinators and it is worth keeping a close eye on the patch when it is in bloom.  It is located just north of the office building.

There are a few other stands of that same goldenrod popping up, including along the Two Roads Trail and we have planted some graminifolia in a few spots as well.

The Point will be open this weekend.

Patrick

Phone: (203)405-9115

Your Legacy is Audubon's Future!
To learn more how planned giving can support Audubon Connecticut, and our Centers, please click here https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ct.audubon.org_planned-2Dgiving&d=CwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wPbNkt6T_H4X7m_PlvSFCGU2a9-csNvfRK2IVMi-mp0&m=gqTOPbAMcPWMSCXwQP3CP21eEJvVGMtwrjJeyym92gg&s=ffFPslWnXITCGftaWg3vdgTwC-O2oqZOJ7CqrE-N8ZA&e=