[Ctleps-l] Painted Lady Influx-Stratford Point

Stefan Martin nafets519 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 21:54:41 EDT 2017

Forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse here but I wanted to add some
observations from later in the day at Stratford Point. American Lady was by
far the most abundant species throughout the day with my high count being
22 on just two buddleia.. Most of them were in perfect condition and the
differences in size between individuals was quite astounding. After this
count, I checked some other plants around the building and sure enough,
they were everywear. I'd feel comfortable with saying the total count on
them was 35+ just around the building. You would walk past the buddleia and
they would explode off the plants with such abundance you could hear their
flight. As far as I know, this is a high count for the property. Also of
note, skippers have been few and far between this season with little in the
way of variety. I had 1m and 1f Sachem today and I'm still waiting for the
next flight of Swarthy. Pearl Crescents are becoming more plentiful as well
as Tiger Swallowtails. I'd recommend taking a trip over here if anyone has
the time. If conditions are right, you will have a great day.

Stefan Martin
Stratford Point Land Steward

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 6:42 PM Steve Walter <swalter15 at verizon.net> wrote:

> I think I’d call it this. I was on the Long Island coast today and noticed
> the activity. Of those Painted Ladies that I saw on the move, they were
> heading north. Probably saw a few coming in off the ocean. I do recall
> seeing one land on the beach. This is probably the second day of this
> movement. At mid-day, I got an e-mail from a friend, who mentioned having
> 10 in his back yard yesterday in inland Nassau County. That prompted me to
> look around at Jones Beach. I got about 25 in one small area with a lot of
> knapweed. I got smaller numbers elsewhere, but they were everywhere. And
> still some heading north.
>

> My first thought was that this is an unexpected time of year for northward
> migration of Vanessa species. I think that’s something I’ve usually seen in
> April or May. There were a few Painted Ladies around all along, and by now
> we could certainly have their offspring hatching out. By my observations
> and the coastal concentrations (such as at Jones Beach and Stratford Point)
> point to an influx from points south.
>

> Steve Walter
>
> Bayside, NY

Stefan Martin