[Ctleps-l] West Rock Ridge St. Park, New Haven

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 28 19:58:24 EDT 2018

“the Spring Azures I am used to seeing that have a darker ground color with those large, black blotches and dark hindwing margin” would pertain to Celastrina lucia or Northern Azure. Among other spring only species of azure, one that should be widespread in Connecticut is Celastrina ladon, which has been referred to as Edward’s Azure, in addition to Spring Azure. From what I’ve read, in some areas (probably to the south), this and the spring form of Summer Azure (Celastrina neglecta) are very similar. Males of Edward’s Azure are distinctly identified under a microscope by their unique overlapping wing scales. Fresh Edward’s are a bit more violet colored above than other azures. I wish I had more of a sample of pictures from Connecticut and mainland New York, but what I do have suggests that Edward’s at our latitude do have some darkening in the ventral disc or margin. So Lenny, while you may very well be correct in your identification of a Summer Azure, it may not be as simple as ruling out Northern Azure.

It was recently confirmed that both ladon and lucia occur at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation in Westchester County, NY. So it is quite possible that these two spring species occur together in Connecticut locales. Should I be thankful that I don’t have this problem on Long Island? Probably not. I’d have a better sample of ladon pictures. And I have another wrinkle, anyway. Cherry Gall Azures often occur in the same places as Northern (lucia). But they do come out later, at least, so they’re not fresh at the same time.

So if you’ve read this far and find this azure stuff interesting and / or fun – as opposed to repulsive – here’s my annual invitation to check out a series of pictures of every azure variation I could get. This can be found at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__stevewalternature.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=DxSBJXRvd7MQp-AlXAtLeydve7SiywLWLcinsn9EdPE&m=BIH7mNYNGWhDTDQVy299tIxll1oTW_URZEeAdZC15aA&s=S_4DXi2YXLIWMNvWUuhrh5otwgfKrdBWqhGk-lkIl6E&e= (click the butterflies tab, then look for the Azures gallery).

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY