[Ctleps-l] [NEleps] Naugatuck Industrial Park - 6 hairstreak species + L-t Skipper cats in Portland

Peter DeGennaro degennap at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 20:03:00 EDT 2018

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the thoughts. I had the Long-tailed right along the bank of
the CT River, which is a point toward it having flown up on it's own.
It's true that there seems to be a bit of a trend of a few southern
vagrants showing up this time of year. A Common Checkered Skipper I
found along the Housatonic River in northern CT on 7/11/16 and a
Sleepy Orange at Bent of the River in western CT in June a few years
ago found by Patrick Comins come to mind. Of course, these species
winter much farther north than Long-tailed Skipper.

I find it unlikely though that it found a male to mate with if it came
up on its own - unless it that happened much farther south.

Here are some photos of the skipper: http://flic.kr/p/27mtUCK

Caterpillar: http://flic.kr/p/27EP3JC

Eggs: http://flic.kr/p/27ojYzP

Peter DeGennaro