[Ctleps-l] Banded Hairstreaks Still

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 19 18:52:49 EDT 2018

Going full circle on the method I talked about that I use for finding Banded
Hairstreaks in my area of Queens, I was back out there today, a month after
the first ones of the year. Still 4 individuals at the one spot I looked at.
I do this once or twice a week throughout the flight period because I want
to squeeze out as much enjoyment of them as I can, before my life is devoid
of Satyrium hairstreaks for eleven months. It's a nice drawn out flight
period, but I think as the Rolling Stones once sang, "this could be the last
time, maybe the last time, I don't know". Not that I'm pegging them to die
off. I like to think they just walk around the forest floor after the wings
wear out. Now, can I pull out Coral Hairstreak in a count I do in another
area Saturday? That could be a challenge.

The joint was jumpin' today, in fact. The late day patch of sunlight also
attracted a Red-spotted Purple, an Eastern Comma, and a couple of Spicebush
Swallowtail. Even a Great Blue Skimmer, which has been relatively scarce
this year, was an added bonus.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY