[Ctleps-l] Lincoln Brower

rcech at nyc.rr.com rcech at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jul 26 23:06:43 EDT 2018

For those who didn't otherwise hear, we lost one of the stalwarts of the
butterfly community this week, Lincoln Brower, a pioneer in Monarch research
as well as other topics (including the famous "barfing Blue Jay" article (as
he called it) in Scientific American that provided early evidence of how
aversion to noxious insects can be learned by birds). Lincoln was an
extremely warm, energetic, and engaging individual, and he will be greatly
missed.

I've attached a link to his NYT obituary, as well as to some photos taken
(1) by me in Florida in 2009, and (2) by someone else at a Yale entomology
reunion with Bob Pyle and Chares Remington (two equally renowned
entomologists) in 1992 [courtesy of Yale Peabody Museum archives].

Best,

Rick Cech

NYT obit:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/obituaries/lincoln-brower-champion-of-the
-monarch-butterfly-dies-at-86.html?action=click
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/obituaries/lincoln-brower-champion-of-th
e-monarch-butterfly-dies-at-86.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Mot
h-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-5&module=inside-nyt-region&region=i
nside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region>
&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-5&modul
e=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region

Pix:

https://rbc-pix.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-Images/Lincoln-Brower