[Histling-l] excrescence by regular rule?

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at wayne.edu
Wed Sep 13 22:31:23 EDT 2017

Just to pile on here, there are numerous cases in English as well, although I don't know whether these epenthetic stops are 'regular' or just frequent. But we have inserted 'b's in:

crumble, bumble, bramble, fumble, jumble, tumble, mumble and nimble (source: World Wide Words)

and probably more.

And, of course, there are the epenthetic voiceless stops in 'Hampstead, hamster, spinster, Springsteen...'. These are non-systematic in that some of them are orthographic, (Hampstead), some are regular but not spelled (I don't think anyone says 'hamster' without a /p/ ), but some are probably variable ('Chomsky', for example). T

here's a small phonological literature on how and whether the fleeting [p] is phonologized or not (I think Bruce Hayes wrote on this but it's too late at night to look it up).

Geoff

 Geoffrey S. Nathan
 WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
 Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
 https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__blogs.wayne.edu_proftech_&d=DwIGaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=xWgwnXzyLjTDtEN1jkc-sliD_cd49k7fc7XSMi_8aeo&m=eHmq9u2SqA92kcPN6YfMLB5bnOWabEuV11hsUaXLvpA&s=3AXXXmyyMmsaQDzxbvbKJBrily1K1JH_u0oKyYkouwI&e=

 geoffnathan at wayne.edu

 Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email  looks.