[Histling-l] Call for Papers - Hison - Leiden 2018

Rutten, G.J. g.j.rutten at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Fri Sep 15 09:53:52 EDT 2017

Making Waves in Historical Sociolinguistics

Organized by the Historical Sociolinguistics Network - HiSoN and the Leiden University Centre for Linguistics - LUCL

30 May - 1 June 2018

What are the next steps in historical sociolinguistics? Where is the discipline heading? Which challenges and opportunities are we facing? These are the issues we want to address at the next HiSoN conference on historical sociolinguistics. Over the past few decades, the field of historical sociolinguistics has developed from a niche that brought together historical linguists, philologists and sociolinguists to a vibrant and established subdiscipline of its own. The results have been impressive: new data sets have been collected, corpora have been built, theories, methods and analyses have been presented in papers, books and journals. At the 2018 conference, at a time when the Leiden-based Going Dutch-project is nearing its end, we want to reflect on the state-of-the-art in our field, and identify new avenues of historical-sociolinguistic research.

Possible issues to be addressed include the following. Are hot topics in modern sociolinguistics, such as contact, migration and identity, sufficiently represented in historical sociolinguistics? If not, how can we operationalize them? What about key concepts in historical linguistics, such as grammaticalization, constructionalization and subjectification? If we seek to integrate internal and external factors in explaining language change, do these concepts need to become more integrated into our analyses? Are stylization and enregisterment useful concepts in the analysis of historical situations? Are so-called third-wave studies of historical situations feasible at all - in the frequent absence of detailed information about individual writers and their identities? Which languages and language groups are still conspicuously absent from the field? Can we extend the historical-sociolinguistic approach to ancient languages, or to contexts with only a recent written tradition? Which methodological innovations can further our field and its analytical adequacy? What kinds of data from the written record are still waiting for us to study?

We are looking for historical-sociolinguistic papers that identify a promising avenue of historical-sociolinguistic research, in terms of data, method or theory. Papers are 20 minutes excluding Q&A. Abstracts of max. 300 words (references included) can be sent to hison2018 at hum.leidenuniv.nl<mailto:hison2018 at hum.leidenuniv.nl>. The deadline for abstract submission is 5 January 2018. Notification of acceptance will be given before 1 February 2018.

Keynote speakers
James Clackson (University of Cambridge) - Sociolinguistics of ancient languages, esp. Latin and Greek
Kristine Horner (University of Sheffield) - Language politics, multilingualism and mobility
Rajend Mesthrie (University of Cape Town) - Migration, language and social change

Organizing committee
Andreas Krogull, Gijsbert Rutten, Jos Schaeken, Bob Schoemaker, Ingrid Tieken-Boon van Ostade, Marijke van der Wal

Contact
Call for papers: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.universiteitleiden.nl_en_events_2018_05_call-2Dfor-2Dpapers-2Dhison&d=DwIFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=xWgwnXzyLjTDtEN1jkc-sliD_cd49k7fc7XSMi_8aeo&m=8XUotgnvQZj3ynAQKGZrWCxziEaZbQMbKl-uXfvBDoA&s=Y_Y12kWcaQBIcqfWJf-BOT4eVM5tAMmQe5Xf56yLfss&e=
Email: hison2018 at hum.leidenuniv.nl<mailto:hison2018 at hum.leidenuniv.nl>

Dr. Gijsbert Rutten
Senior researcher Historical Sociolinguistics of Dutch
Current project: Going Dutch. The Construction of Dutch in Policy, Practice and Discourse, 1750-1850 (NWO VIDI grant)

Universiteit Leiden
Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL)
Van Wijkplaats 4
Postbus 9515
NL - 2300 RA Leiden

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.universiteitleiden.nl_en_staffmembers_gijsbert-2Drutten&d=DwIFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=xWgwnXzyLjTDtEN1jkc-sliD_cd49k7fc7XSMi_8aeo&m=8XUotgnvQZj3ynAQKGZrWCxziEaZbQMbKl-uXfvBDoA&s=85-3blLrrhn2L8EnilMvnbSnDJYdx23fCP8fwXbIIUU&e=