A Warning

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow
Sat Dec 13 03:32:47 EST 1997

Dear KineJapanners,

Again, we had another incident which exposes the demerits of having an
unmoderated list.  There was a message that was clearly uncalled for and
I have sent a warning to the sender.

I must remind everyone that personal attacks are in no way welcome on
this list.  This is meant to be a civil discussion of Japanese cinema,
not a mud-throwing contest.  It seems to be the case that the offender
this time around was intending to send the message to an individual, not
to the list, but mistakenly sent it to everyone.  This is a mistake that
happens--even I have done it before--and most of the time it is harmless,
though annoying.  But when it can cause problems like this, I do ask
everyone to double and triple check the "To:" line of any message you
send to KineJapan or, more specifically, any response you write to a
message from KineJapan and want to send to an individual.

Mistakes will happen and I think they are the price for having an
unmoderated list.  No moderation allows for more spontaneity and free
discussion.  And frankly, neither I nor the other owners have the time to
moderate.  If KineJapan needed moderation, we'd probably have to stop the
list.  So please take care when participating: KineJapan's quality and
future depends on it.

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html