FUJI TV outside japan

Abe' Mark Nornes amnornes
Tue Dec 16 12:16:22 EST 1997

I don't know about Fuji, but NHK does broadcast via Primestar DBS. If you
buy the minimal package, plus the extra for NHK it comes to nearly $60 a
month.

Content includes the morning soap, sumo (live and taped at primetime), the
morning and evening news broadcasts (live and rebroadcast; the live morning
news comes on at 6:00 pm eastern time), the main dramas and some minor
ones, and other NHK mainstays (enka, cultural docs, children's shows,
political commentary, etc etc).

Some of the programs are subbed (the large scale dramas, for instance).
However, it also broadcasts on two channels, with one providing English
soundtracks for programming that was originally bilingual. This includes
the English play-by-play that occassionally features KineJapan's own Mark
Schilling (someday I would like to hear more about _that_ scene).

If I'm not mistaken, Fuji provides the news and a few shows for SCOLA. The
image and sound quality is awful and the quality of the reporting is
unforgivable. I won't speak for NHK's journalism, but the feed is digital
and looks at least as good as what you get in downtown Tokyo.