Fwd: The 1998 Asian Film Tour

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow
Thu Dec 18 09:04:48 EST 1997

A crosspost from H-Japan (and some other lists).  The only Japanese film
they include is Kumai Kei's _Fukai kawa_.

**********************

I am Shao-yi Sun, Ph. D. candidate at the University of Southern
California.  Some of you may have already known me from the 1997 Asian
film tour.  I am now working part-time for the Network for the Promotion
of Asian Cinema/USA and the Asia Pacific Media Center of the University of
Southern California to coordinator our annual Asian film tour.
As we are heading for the year of 1998, I hereby announce that The 1998
Asian Film Tour, which will begin in late March and end in early June, is
on its way.  Jeannette Paulson Hereniko, formerly Jeannette Paulson,
founder of the Hawaii International Film Festival and director of the Asia
Pacific Media Center, will supervise the film tour and provide necessary
information regarding film selection and print sources.  She just got
married this August and finished her own "film tour" to India, Singapore,
and Korea, from which she got first-hand information about new
developments of Asian cinema.

As you may have already known, the film tour's selection is mainly based
on those new Asian feature films screened at the Hawaii International Film
Festival.  For the 1998 film tour, we have tentatively decided to select
films with the theme of "In Search of Spiritual Fulfillment: Asia in
Transition."  The following films, most of them from the HIFF, are
possible candidates for screening during the 1998 tour:

12 Storeys (Singapore, 1997; 35mm, 100 min)
Deep River (Japan, 1995; 35mm, 130 min)
The Red Door (India, 1996; 35mm, 95 min)
The Making of the Mahatma (India & South Africa; 1996, 35mm)
A Single Spark (Korea, 1996, 35mm)
Deep in Paradise (Philippines, 1996; 35mm, 100 min)
The River (Taiwan, 1997; 35mm, 115 min)
Murmur of Youth (Taiwan, 1997, 35mm, 107 min)
Broken Silence (Switzerland, 1996; 35mm, 106 min)
How the Steel Was Tempered (China, 1997, 35mm)
Cello in a Cab (China, 1997, 35mm)

Out of the above list, up to SIX will be selected for the upcoming tour.
As of the previous tour, the 1998 Asian film tour costs $2,500.  Half of
the payment is due in February and the other half is due 15 days after the
tour is completed at a given site.  This amount secures for the host
institution the right to screen each film as many times as required, or
within the limits set forth by NETPAC and APMC.  From previous
experiences, the largest number of sites we can handle is 12.  So far, we
have already had 6 committed sites and some time slots have been already
booked.  If your institution is interested in bringing the tour to your
site, please let me know as soon as possible.  Remember, all films are
35mm prints.  If your institution does not have the facility, it is
impossible to host the tour.  I can be reached through the following
means:
Address:  916 S. Marguerita Ave, Apt. F; Alhambra, CA 91803;
Telephone: (626) 458-2364;  (213) 743-1939;
E-mail: shaoyis at scf.usc.edu
Fax: (213) 743-2962.
E-mail probably is the most reliable way to communicate with me, since I
check my messages several times a day.
Contact me if you need further information.  Meanwhile, Merry Christmas
and Happy New Year!
Shao-yi Sun
Coordinator, 1998 Asian Film Tour

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html