Shall We Dance - Prologue

Carole Cavanaugh cavanaug at panther.middlebury.edu
Tue Nov 4 10:09:55 EST 1997

Did Suou say what the alterations were? I saw the film in the U.S. in
August and the opening scene in the Japanese video I have seems the same.
If there is any contextualization it would seem to be for a Japanese
audience. The voice-over explains the European origins of
ballroom dancing, shakou dansu. There's a quotation from Shakespeare and
one from Adam Smith. As David Desser points out, the scene of apparently
British dancers is reprised later in the film. Did Suou give any details?

Carole Cavanaugh
Middlebury College