Tokyo Biyori

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow
Sat Nov 1 20:40:10 EST 1997

Nice to see a debate on _Tokyo biyori_, though it's too bad only two
people have seen the film and that the debate has gotten a bit personal.
(Again folks, keep to the points of the argument and to the film!)

While I understand that those who want to participate but who have not
seen the film can only do so through the reference point of Araki, I
think Mark is right that the film is more about "Shimazu" than Araki
(Takenaka actually made an amicable agreement with Araki halfway through
script production where he gave up trying to adopt Araki to the screen
and decided to do his own story).  Araki is a valid intertext, but
Markus's citation of _Private Parts_, while amusing, doesn't do much to
help understand the film.

So, as the third person who has seen the movie, I thought I would pipe
in.  I do so both to try to resolve some of the issues raised and to try
to tone down the tone of the conversation a bit.

Basically, while I can sympathize with Mark's efforts to correct what he
sees as misperceptions on Frances's part (I can agree with him on many of
his points), I do think Frances is noticing something about the film that
is a legitimate object of concern.  Jean might not be wrong in claiming
that the difference between the two may relate to gender, but I think you
can defend some of Frances's points from even a more conventional,
auteurist perspective.

For those who have not seen Takenaka's works (and they are worth seeing),
one can say they have a particular concern with the emotional valence of
objects.  There are the rocks in _Muno no hito_ ("Nowhere Man"), the fire
engines in _119_ ("Quiet Days of Firemen"), the stone piano and other
objects in _Tokyo biyori_.  To put it a bit extremely, you could say that
Takenaka is somewhat of a fetishist.  Not in the Freudian sense, but
closer to the Marxist or even ritual sense.  Objects take on values that
transcend their materiality or use value.  Since these objects can also
be natural ones (here the Marxist definition doesn't work), what is
crucial is how the world of objects is transformed into an emotional
world of nostalgia through human interaction.

I wrote once that watching a Takenaka film is like visiting an antique
store.  The pleasure often involves finding delicate, precious, and
nostalgic objects that bring forth gentle waves of emotion.  These can
not only be physical objects, but also people, places, situations, and
especially old films.  Cameo appearances by notable people are de rigeur
in his films: in _Tokyo_, there's _Tetsuo's_ Tsukamoto Shinya (as the
indie theater actor), Suo Masayuki (as a postman), Riju Go (the friend
Hirata), Nakajima Miyuki (the bar madam), Morita Yoshimitsu (the magazine
editor), Araki himself (the train conductor at the end), and of course a
bunch of actors from the good ol' days like Fujimura Shiho, Kuga Yoshiko,
Murakami Fuyuki, etc.  Mark mentioned the use of out of the way places,
but note also the rare use of the Tokyo Station Hotel, itself charged
with a lot of urban emotional valences.  Most important, one could argue,
are the references to old films: not only Takenaka's debt to Ozu (always
acknowledged), but also to 1930s Shochiku in general.  The Shimazu
character's full name is, according to the press sheet, "Shimazu Mikio,"
a clear reference to *Shimazu* Yasujiro and Naruse *Mikio* (especially
given that the kanji match those for Naruse's name).  If our experience
in watching Takenaka's films is similar to a nostalgia trip, to him, it
is like rummaging through one's grandparents attic and finding things
that, over time, have come to mean much more than they are.

_Tokyo Biyori_ differers from the previous films in that, not simply
accepting the valences of these objects as given, it explores the ways
these valences are created.  It does that through three strategic
registers: temporality, psychology, and cinema/representation.  First,
unlike the other films, which only take up objects in the present after
they have achieved some significance (or, as in _Muno_, when their
significance is still under debate), _Tokyo's_ temporal structure
reenacts the processes by which objects like the patio table or places
like the patio itself change and accumulate meaning over time.  The
discovery of significance can be sudden, such as in finding the name of
the inspector on the sticker at the end, but it is the accumulation of
memory before that which makes that "object" transcend its very mundane
existence.

Second, the film quite delicately at times explores the boundary between
ascribing meaning to objects through perception and the psychotic
transformation of objects into what they are not.  Attaching emotional
importance to objects is a psychological issue, but Takanaka quite
rightly recognizes that this is not far from mental instability.  The
crucial object here is, of course, the stone piano, which is a source of
fond memory for Shimazu and Yoko at first, but then becomes something
more excessive in Yoko's mind later on.  I would argue that it the
refusal to draw a strict line between these two mental processes that
gives _Tokyo_ much of its power.  The normal is abnormal and the abnormal
is normal.  (Or is this just a justification of Araki?)

Third, and last, there is the question of representation.  The film
begins with photographs: on the patio table, the book of photographs
"Tokyo biyori," and even the dissolve to a monochrome view of the patio
(as if a photograph).  The film then takes two roads from there: it
explores the origins of these representational objects to delineate the
process by which they have assumed an emotional charge in the diegesis
(again, by shifting into the past).  But it also explores the act of
representation itself.  Shimazu at the beginning takes a photo of his
photo collection as if signalling this film is also to be a
representation of representation, an investigation of how signs refer to
signs, about how significance is not simply the relation of sign (photo)
and referent (the real event in the past), but also also of sign to sign
in a set of comfortable, nostaligic codes.  The world view here is less
realistic than conventional, allegorical or even metaphorical.

This latter sense of signification is what always made Takenaka's films
interesting: the recognition that this cinematic world is only a set of
signs/objects, rearranged in a rhythmic and humorous manner.  And, I
would argue, this is also what made his depiction of women acceptable.
The Suzuki Kyoka character in _119_ is hard to relate to as a realistic
portrayal of a woman, but then so are many of the other characters, many
of whom are "types."  Her character has a personal problem that can't be
spoken, and that only makes her into that much more of an elusive image.
She becomes as hard to grasp as the figure she was was meant to signify:
(the now reclusive) Hara Setsuko.  She is just another "find," another
object (like the antique fire engine toy) in a world that is full of
curios.

Such a vision of woman, though not un-problematic in itself (it is always
male-centered), is, I repeat, more tolerable because it is operating in a
world where everything is only a set of signs without real referents.
_Tokyo biyori_, however, is slightly different and it is that which I
believe causes the unease Frances senses.  The film is not content to
operate with Yoko only as a set of signs; through discourses both in the
text (Araki's presence, references to his actual photos of Yoko, etc.)
and outside it, connects her to a real-life figure with real sufferings.
Takenaka may be moving away from "pawky" humor, but he is doing so by
injecting a referent to his world of signs and curios which it cannot
support.  No longer existing merely as a sign among other signs, Yoko's
existence as an object becomes more painful.  Takenaka's fetishism shifts
from the playfully innocent to the disturbing.

I found _Tokyo biyori_ to be a grand experiment that failed.  Takenaka's
effort to explore the valences behind objects/signs is ambitious and the
resulting structure to the film quite remarkable, so I can sympathize
with Mark's respect for the film.  But this was a work that should not
have been based on real life (I wonder if Takenaka, when he decided to
make a break from Araki halfway through, did not realize this).
Takenaka's style does not fit with that.

The film still could have been rescued, perhaps, if the actress who
played Yoko could have resisted the power of the gaze upon her, tying her
psychological problem to the status of being an object.  But I'm afraid
Nakayama Miho has no where near the depth needed to do that (her scenes
of psychological torment are rather weak, to say the least).  Frankly
(and maybe this is just my personal bias), she is not a very good actress
and tends to act in films just as she does on TV (which is damning in
itself).  Especially in the last scenes on the boat, she only acts like a
pretty face that has no depth whatsoever.  (I wonder if this is the Fuji
TV effect.  Fuji does tend to put vaccuous TV actors in its productions
and _Tokyo biyori_ was not able to escape this.)

Forgive this rather long, rambling text.  I originally decided not to
write about the film for the Yomiuri because, as a failure, it did not
interest me.  But this debate has helped me think about this film and
about Takenaka's work a little more.  I wonder if anyone can comment
further about the film?

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html