[Fwd: Re: NC:Another film]

Eija Niskanen niskanen
Mon Oct 6 18:13:06 EDT 1997

I think Kurosawa deliberately made the two parts different in style in order
to highlite the nature vs. civilization theme. There are scenes, like when
Dersu gets photographed, he starts loosing his ability to see - thus the
civilization steals something from his skills etc. eija

At 11:20 AM 10/6/97 -0800, you wrote:
>This thread was started sometime ago on Nippon Culture - I thought some
>of you may know more about this film, Derzu Ursula.
>
>Alan Kita
>Torrance California USA
>To: reiko nomura <mirika at t3.rim.or.jp>, nippon-culture at yk.rim.or.jp
>From: georgep at unixg.ubc.ca (George Piternick)
>Subject: Re:NC:Another film
>Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 11:21:06 -0700
>

>>If anybody wants to know more about Dersu Uzala, please ask
>>me, although I am not working in the film field anymore.
>
>I saw the film many years ago, at about the time it was released, so my
>memory is a bit vague about some of the details.  But I remember noticing at
>the time that there seemed to be a pronounced difference in cinematic
>treatment between the first part, showing Dersu Uzala in the wild, and the
>second part, showing him in what passed for civilization in Siberia.  I
>thought perhaps that the first part had been done by Kurosawa and the second
>part by the Russian director.  Is this surmise supported by the facts?
>
>It may interest you to know that the film is listed as a joint Japanese-USA
>production, not a joint Japanese-Soviet production on the Internet Movie
>Database
>
><http://www.msstate.edu/Movies/search.html.
>
>You may want to correct them.
>

>*************************************
>* George Piternick                  *
>* 1849 West 63rd Avenue             *
>* Vancouver, B.C., Canada  V6P 2H9  *
>* Phone (604)263-4051  No Fax       *
>* E-mail: georgep at unixg.ubc.ca      *

Eija Niskanen, graduate student, UCLA dep. of Film and TV
tel. (310)915-5538 (home in L.A.), (310)206-8170 (Melnitz Movies)
@ Helsinki Film Festival: tel. +358-9-629 528, fax +358-9-631 450
WWW: http://love_and_anarchy.cultnet.fi/