Takeshi Kitano interview

Aaron Gerow ryuu000
Mon Apr 6 20:26:22 EDT 1998

I was glad to see the issue of Kitano Takeshi's politics broached on the
list.  It has the potential of opening up the proverbial can of worms,
but it is an issue worthy of discussion, as a means of approaching both
his films and certain contemporary cultural issues.

Mark was right in emphasizing that Takeshi is more contradictory than
consistent in his opinions.  Certainly, as Mark concludes, that is in
some way a mark of his creative energy as an artist, but there are other
issues involved.  Takeshi as a popular icon almost by definition can only
exist in the popular mind as a contradictory phenomenon (reflecting the
contradictions in popular culture).  This is in part because he can be
popular only if his image can be read different ways by very different
people.  It is, in other words, amorphous and amenable to multiple and
contradictory appropriations.  I would dare say that if he was more
consistent in his political opinions, he would end up creating an image
that was less malleable and thus less open to the popular imagination.
Perhaps he would not be as popular.

I am certain that Takeshi is aware of all this, if only because many of
his films in which he appears can be read as his critique (or, if you
follow Abe Kasho, willful deconstruction) of his popular image.  This is
not only an issue of the "death wish" contained therein, but of a larger
critique of identity which is brilliantly conjoined with a deconstruction
of the basis of narrative form.  Whatever pretense there is of a stable,
positive identity "Takeshi"--either as character in the fiction, auteur,
or public media figure--is undermined by a thoroughgoing emptiness formed
through the opening of liminal spaces between opposites such as
life/death, movement/stillness, land/sea, etc.  (I think _Violent Cop_ is
a much less interesting film precisely because it has not acheived that
self-critique, that rendering of "Takeshi" into nothingness.)

We must, of course, try to separate the different "Takeshis": the real
person, the TV personality, the director, the character in his films,
etc.  They all may relate in the end, but I think Takeshi's brilliance in
part lies in his refusal to equate all of them in a single identity.

Takeshi, by definition, cannot be pinned down.  But that, I don't think,
prevents us from engaging in an ideological critique of his various
images.  If one just concentrates on Takeshi the opinionator (the "New
intellectual" valorized by Yoshimoto Takaaki), it is true one finds many
contradictions, but I do think, if pressed, that you can place him more
in the right wing than in the left.  He was a public supporter of a right
wing political party in the 1980s and, if you take a look at the book
that some of his opponents put out some years ago (I forget the title,
but is was something on the order of "Why we hate Beat Takeshi"), you do
find a record of him spouting a lot of very repulsive ideas (especially
about women).  Mark is right to point out that his rightism is sometimes
contradicted by seemingly non-rightist statements, but I would remind
people that the extreme right in Japan has always been hard to categorize
and, for Westerners, may seem as close to the left-wing in some of its
positions (anti-capitalist, anti-bureaucracy, andt-politicians, etc.) as
it is to our vision of the right.  The manga artist Kobayashi Yoshinori
could at one time seem a darling to the left for standing up against the
Health Ministry over the AIDS scandal, but in the next moment, he's
denying the existence of the Nanking Massacre and spouting
neo-nationalist rhetoric.  Takeshi's public discourse is somewhat similar
and must be analyzed as such.  While we can't pigeon-hole it as
"rightist," it is ideologically problematic and worthy of critique (both
for its content and its popular cultural form).

Since we must keep the Takeshis separate, I stress that this must not
lead us to reject his films or simply look for rightist ideology in them.
 In fact, as I argued in _Yuriika_, I think some of his film work is most
interesting precisely because it refuses to adopt some of common
constructions of the nation found in other popular media.

But there are elements of his film work open to ideological critique.
Two issues in particular are:

1) Violence. Violence in Takeshi does operate in system of oppositions
(especially with stillness and the ever present deadpan faces) that
prevents us from considering his films as elegies of violence.  _Violent
Cop_ and _Hana-Bi_, however, do not manifest this system and thus, I
think, harbor a much more problematic conception of violence, especially
as it is directed towards women.  How does violence operate here in
reconstructing the identities Takeshi was previously deconstructing?  Can
we make parallells between violence here and extremist violence in
Japanese culture (Takeshi has spoken of Nishi in _Hana-Bi_ as precisely a
man who can act, using rhetoric not dissimilar to that that has valorized
rightist violence)?

2) Women. This, unfortunately, is one area where I think Takeshi the
opinionator and Takeshi the filmmaker may be too close.  While I think
his representation of women is more complicated (I think it's involved in
a general deconstruction of binary opposites), I have always disliked
_Violent Cop_ for its pretense that the hero's sister must be killed
simply because she has been "violated."  The man with the right to kill
women reappears in _Hana-Bi_ and it simply can't be explained away as a
representation of "unspoken love between man and wife."  Frankly, the
reduction of Nishi's wife to silence (except at the end) is too typical
of Takeshi's reduction of women to powerlessness.  Few feminist friends
of mine here like Takeshi and not a few were offended by _Hana-Bi_.
Again, the issue is not clear cut, but it deserves a lot more discussion.
 (The weakness of feminist film criticism in Japan has not helped advance
this issue.)

There are other issues, but I just want throw these two out.

Let me reiterate to those of you who are Takeshi fans that I say all this
not to offer reasons to reject his films.  I love his films too and think
he is the best director of the 1990s.  But love for his cinema should
never prevent us from understanding its complexities on multiple levels,
including the political.  Artistic praise should not prevent us from
doing ideological analysis.

I think the time is ripe to do this analysis precisely because of
_Hana-Bi_.  As I hinted above, I think _Hana-Bi_, while a great film, is
a return to more conventional notions of identity, gender, and nation in
Takeshi's work.  In fact, with Takeshi now being celebrated as a
cinematic master, it has become his occasion to reconstruct himself as an
auteur.  Part and parcel of that is a reduction of his self-critique
evident in previous films and a more bold assertion of "who Takeshi is"
cinematically.  In that image, I think we do have a distinct object of
analysis which can serve as the locus for connecting Takeshi the person,
the media figure, the director, and the film character, with larger
contemporary issues of popular culture and ideology.

Aaron Gerow
YNU