swallowtail

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow
Wed Apr 8 03:40:11 EDT 1998

I put _Swallowtail_ on my best 30 list because I do think it is an
important film.  I would hesitate to agree with Christine, however, that
it is a film effectively critiquing ethnocentrism in Japan.  That seems
to be its surface concern, but in the end, I have the feeling that it
reduces its celebration of difference to a consumerist appropriation of
the Other into the Japanese national self. The key scene I think everyone
should watch when seeing this film is the one when Ageha visits the opium
den to get a tattoo.  For a film celebrating the Asian Other and
valorizing an ethnic and linguistic mix within the Japanese national
space, I found it very disturbing that the Chinese represented in that
scene are NOT given subtitles when they talk.  They are, in effect,
reduced to the "frightening" Other as the film reconstructs, in very
unfortunate ways, the classical colonial hierarchy founded in the
tourist/colonial gaze.

Since this is good timing, I should mention that I do discuss the film in
an essay, "Consuming Asia, Consuming Japan: The New Nationalist
Revisionism in Japan" coming out this month in a special issue on
textbook nationalism in _Bulletin of Concerned Asian Scholars_ (Vol. 30,
No. 2; April-June 1998).  I locate the film in the same popular cultural
nexus as Fujioka Nobukatsu and the new neo-rightist revisionists.

By the way, some in Japan have tried to celebrate the film for its
critique of ethnocentrism, but there's a growing number of people who are
very disturbed by its politics.  In a public talk with me, Yomota Inuhiko
cited the film as one of the worst representations of Asia in recent
Japanese film he has seen, and in the Feminist Film Workshop held at
Ochanomizu Daigaku (where I presented the film), the general opinion was
that the film reproduces in frightening ways the prewar colonialist
mentality of Imperial Japan.  There seems to be a debate building here on
the film.

There are other interpretations, but that again is the reason I think it
is an important film.  An important film to critique, discuss, and analyze.

Aaron Gerow
YNU