Swallowtail

Aaron Gerow ryuu000
Thu Apr 9 21:01:45 EDT 1998

>I know how hard it is to believe that movies we hate can be a success, but
>Swallowtail, sorry to say, was a smash hit in Japan, playing for 18 weeks
>in first-run engagements, recording 650,559 admissions and grossing
>Y993,344,914.

Maybe my memory is incorrect, but I do recall reading in KineJun and
several other sources that, while the film did do well at the box office,
it did not meet the expectations that existed before its release.  That's
why I called it a "mild" success.

However, I do think we can say that it did very well considering it is
two and half hours and not an easy film to sell, as Martin says.

Success is relative, but even when we do judge it, it is important not to
make it the only criteria in evaluating a film.

Aaron