Introduction...

M Arnold n9344881
Mon Apr 27 02:28:54 EDT 1998

Hi!  After reading messages quietly for a couple of weeks, I've decided to
go ahead and introduce myself as well.

My name is Michael Arnold.  I'm a 5th year college student in my last
quarter at Western Washington University's Fairhaven College.  My major is
a self-designed "Concentration" -- "Language, Culture and Film in Japan."
I've been focusing on Japanese film and film history for the last year or
so of my undergraduate program, though resources are rather scarce here in
Bellingham, WA.  (My current complaint is that other classes are
preventing me from enjoying the Suzuki Seijun and Imamura Shohei festivals
that are being held 90 miles South in Seattle this Spring.)

Let's see. . . Right now I'm doing research on Miyazaki and the political
(mostly) themes/reflections in his films.  (As a quick disclaimer -- I
strongly feel that my interest in animation does not qualify me as an
"otaku" and I have no intention of broadcasting irrelevant animation fan
rhetoric on this list.) :)

My main reasons for joining this list are to get information about
releases and resources in the U.S., learn more about the directors and
films I have little experience with, enjoy discussions about films none of
my professors have seen and if possible learn about opportunities for
graduate studies in related fields, either in Japan or America.

The last Japanese film I saw was "Hana bi" in Seattle, and after I finish
"Ikimono no Kiroku" I have Hani's "Bad Boys" and a video compilation of
some of Terayama Shuji's films lined up in front of the VCR.

Thanks and yoroshiku onegaishimasu,
Mike A