best 80's and 90's Japanese movies ? Please post more

Nexie adrpok
Fri Apr 3 13:07:28 EST 1998

Mario Desiderio wrote:

> Hello Michael Singer,
>
> I was worried that nobody will tell me any movie titles since I had
> received no answer to my posting.
>
> Thank you very much for your titles. I have only seen Black Rain. I will
> try to see any of the others.
>
> I hope some more peopla posts more titles.
>
> Please everybody DO
>
> Thanks a lot for your posting,
>
> Mario Desiderio

Well, I loved most of the Japanese movies in the 80s and 90s. Here are some
of them I particularly liked. Forgive me if I fail to mention some of
them....

Amagi Pass - 1983,  (about a student who kills a vagabond along the way to
Shimoda - tracing the footsteps of another student in The Izu Dancer)
Fantastic film, Yuko Tanaka was luminous in her role as a prostitute who
takes the rap for the boy.

The Hours of Wedlock - 1986, Yoshimitsu Morita's screenplay. Fascinating
look at divorce in this film about people falling in and out of wedlock.

Sea and Poison - 1986, Kei Kumai's masterpiece on human experiments during
WWII. Based on Shusaku Endo's book of the same name.

Eki STATION - 1981, Ken Takakura stars in this movie by Yasuo Furuhata.

The Funeral - 1984, This film by Juzo Itami pokes fun at the distinct
rituals of the Japanese funeral. Basically a taste of what's to come from
Itami.

Otoko wa Tsuraiyo - 1980 - 1995, I loved the entire Tora san series. I'm a
Tora san addict.

Makioka Sisters - 1983, Who can forget this Kon Ichikawa masterpiece?

Tampopo -1986, Juzo Itami's paen to food. Who could resist not going to the
Ramen shop after the show?

Toki o Kakeu Syojo - 1983,  Tomoyo Harada's performance in this movie lifted
her to idol status in the 80s.

Muddy River - 1981, My favourite movie of the 80s. Simple yet so touching.
The last scenes of the boat leaving the bay is unforgettable.

River of Fireflies - 1986, Great touching movie about love, loss and a whole
lot of fireflies.

A Taxing Woman - 1987, Only Juzo Itami himself could make a film like this
out of a subject like taxes....

Ran - 1985, Akira Kurosawa's last great film. Filled with epic battle
sequences.

A-Un - 1989, Yasuo Furuhata's film about platonic love.

Byoin De Shinu To Iu Koto, 1993 - Jun Ichikawa's film about the lives of
patients with terminal cancer.

Village of Dreams, 1995 -Director Yoichi Higashi's charmer of a movie about
a pair of twins living in a carefree village.

Shall We Dance - 1996, Need I say more?

Kids Return - 1996, Takeshi Kitano's film about two kids who goes astray
during school, one joins the Yakuza and one takes up boxing. Impressive
direction and story by Kitano.

All Under The Moon - 1993, Yoichi Sai's paen to the underground and the
nightlife of Tokyo.

Kitchen - 1990, Yoshimitsu Morita's adaptation of the Banana Yoshimoto book.
Elegant filmmaking, great visuals and truly better than the Hong Kong
version.

Tetsuo - 1989, Bizzare movie by Shinya Tsukamoto breaks new ground.

Tokyo Kyodai -1994 (Jun Ichikawa)
A Dedicated Life - 1994 (Hara Kazuo)
119 - 1994 (Naoto Takenaka)
Tokyo Biyori - 1997 (Naoto Takenaka)
Tokyo Yakyoku 1997
Unagi - 1997
Musuko -199? (Yoji Yamada)

and tonnes more..... I just love them all.

Pok Yue Weng
adrpok at singnet.com.sg