TV, infantilism, Shirley Yamaguchi

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow at angel.ne.jp
Sun Aug 9 10:22:41 EDT 1998

David Hopkins wrote,

>Infantilism in females is an interesting ideal. Of course, for male fantasy
>purposes, infantile women are not challenging or threatening to masculine
>superiority (unlike those pesky real women). For women, seeing the way real
>women are treated in society compared with the way young girls are treated,
>it is hardly surprising that some would choose to playact this advantageous
>role. (I've heard a similar argument as an explanation for the prevalence of
>male homosexuality in shojo manga--not real, somehow, like heterosexual
>activity would be, and so a way to escape from adulthood.)

It is thus possible to see the assumption of a childlike image as a form
of resistance.  More extreme forms of infantalism, like the wearing of
baby-like clothes that was in a few years ago, or more eccentic modes of
childlike behavior, best epitomized by Shinohara Tomoe, actually have
very few fans among men.  Assuming such an image can thus serve both as
escape from adulthood and as a barrier against masculine, heterosexual
sexuality.  (It is interesting how Shinohara's image thus needed to be
remolded in order to fit the construction of women prevalent in
televisual consumer culture: i.e., her TBC commercials in which she
"reveals" really is "beautiful."  Her previous image was harder to
commodify.)

Other forms of infantilism (the "cuter" forms) are more likely to mold
the self in the image desired by the male gaze.  One can then aslo ask
why the childlike woman is desirable in contemporary Japan.

Aaron Gerow
YNU