Dr. Akagi / Cyclo

moshi moshi crsg at alcor.concordia.ca
Wed Aug 26 23:14:42 EDT 1998

	I've been lucky to watch Dr. Akagi (Imamura's latest movie) this
morning and, not wanting to spoil anything, I'll recommend it to anyone
that likes Imamura. You'll find the same crassness in the characters, the
same crispiness in the visuals and the same spirit of freedom overall. If
you are in Montreal or nearby, you can check the schedule of the World
Film Festival at www.ffm-montreal.org. There are some 15 Japanese movies
presented (among which hommages to In the Realm of Senses and Hiroshima
Mon Amour), a handful of Chinese ones and a South Korean retrospective.

	Curiosity question (don't read if you don't want to know anything
of Dr.Akagi's scenario): is the girl that comes to get the doctor near the
end of the movie the same one that played Agera in Swallowtail Butterfly?

	On another note, I was wondering if a list comparable to kinejapan
exists  regarding to chinese/hongkongese movies or a broader asian films
list (like alt.asian-movies but without flame wars and with some
substantial discussions). In case someone can help me no this list, I am
wondering whether the Scent of the Green Papaya and Cyclo were shot in
Vietnamese or in French. The actors sound really artificial in French and
I've been told that it's not better in Vietnamese. Yet, I couldn't see any
information regarding to translation in the credits. I was also curious as
a fanboy to know whether Tony Leung speaks French or Vietnamese or if his
voice was dubbed whatever the language.

thanks,
olivier