Tokyo Eyes

Mirjam/Roger Fischer mrfischer
Sun Aug 2 15:56:14 EDT 1998

Dennis Doros of Milestone Film & Video wrote:

>One thing I can tell you is that Hengameh Panahi, the producer, is also the
>head of an international sales film, Celluloid Dreams, and she represents
many
>of Mr. Kitano's films, which might explain his appearance.

Thank you very much. Your answer inspired me...

Because Hengameh Panahi is also Iranian, and as far as I know she was also
a World Sales agent of some Kiarostami films and a film called "White
ballon", there are also appearing Iranians in TOKYO EYES. In addition,
Limosin, the director of TOKYO EYES, has made a very beautiful documentary
about Abbas Kiarostami in the french Television series "Cinema de notre
temps".

A scene of subtle ordinary racism
In one scene a Iranian father and his four children want to get on a bus
(inside are K (Shinji Takeda) and Hinano (Hinano Yoshikawa)) but the bus
driver (Ren Osugi, known for his appearences in Sabu's Postman Blues and
Kitano's films) hesitates to open up the door. Then he wants money for all
the children. As the Iranian father has no more money, Hinano comes in and
pays for the rest of the children.

Best regards

Roger Fischer

Miriam Fischer Roger Fischer