TOKYO EYES II

Mirjam/Roger Fischer mrfischer
Mon Aug 3 18:17:20 EDT 1998

Thank you Aaron Gerow for this precious information. My only problem is
that I haven't got Japanese software to read your Japanese text. (By the
way, can you suggest me something?) If there is no Kanji involved, could
you please write the roman letters in small letters and the KATAKANA(K) or
HIRAGANA (H) syllables in capital letters. Maybe you find even a better
solution.

>The reason Harada's film uses an "l" is because the original title uses a
>mix of roman letters and Japanese characters, as such:
>
>バウ瘢雹ンスkoGALS
>
>The proper romanization of the original title is thus technically "Baunsu
>koGALS."
>
>The expression normally used in Japanese is, in katakana,
>
>コギャル
>
>or "kogyaru" (not "kogaru") in romanized form.
>
>Why the producers decided to use "koGALS" in instead of "kogyaru"
>(including the change in capitalization) is a good question, but the use
>of English words or lettering in Japanese youth culture does have a long
>history (its more hip, its presents an alternative to stifling
>"Japaneseness," etc.).

Do you know other hip Japanese expressions with the "alien" L?

Thank you very much for both answers

Roger Fischer

Miriam Fischer Roger Fischer
mrfischer at access.ch