TV, infantilism, Shirley Yamaguchi

David Hopkins hopkat
Tue Aug 4 01:23:35 EDT 1998

I can hardly stand to watch TV in Japan because the level of exploitation is
so high. I do teach media studies here and use lots of examples, but all are
negative. Well, I do watch NHK, but it really isn't much better. I don't
believe there is any such genre as quiz program in Japan. Kuizu shows are
completely scripted and edited, so they must qualify as a (potentially
interesting) subcategory of drama. Script decisions and plotting are made
for commercial and ideological reasons, so maybe this is worth studying, but
not by me, thank you.

Infantilism in females is an interesting ideal. Of course, for male fantasy
purposes, infantile women are not challenging or threatening to masculine
superiority (unlike those pesky real women). For women, seeing the way real
women are treated in society compared with the way young girls are treated,
it is hardly surprising that some would choose to playact this advantageous
role. (I've heard a similar argument as an explanation for the prevalence of
male homosexuality in shojo manga--not real, somehow, like heterosexual
activity would be, and so a way to escape from adulthood.)

In my continuiing fascination with Ri Ko Ran, Yamaguchi Yoshiko, and Shirley
Yamaguchi, I've about gotten to the point where I need to see Japanese War
Bride (US 1952) and Navy Wife (US 1956). Anybody able to dub me a copy or
guide me to one? (I know this is marginally off kinejapan topic). Maltin's
movie guide (I know, I know) says they aren't available on commercial
video....   Now there's a real woman who signifies like crazy!!

David Hopkins
hopkat at sa2.so-net.or.jp