TV in Japan

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow
Mon Aug 24 22:53:55 EDT 1998

David Hopkin's challenge:

>Anybody care to declare with no qualifications that there are "good" TV
>shows in Japan and name them and sign your real name? Interesting,
>significant, worth studying don't count. Definitions of "good" are
>acceptable.

I must admit I sympathize with the feelings behind this challenge.  When
I came to Japan in 1992, I watched TV quite studiously, even looking at
the first episode of all the new dramas or each cours so I could make
sure I was not missing anything.  It was a worthwhile experience, and not
only in an academic sense.  One could at first get into even trendy
dramas like _Tokyo Love Stories_ or _Asunaro hakusho_ no matter how
cliched their production was.  But I gradually stopped watching dramas.
Partially it was because of the dissertation, the film festival,
marriage, and a new job, but it was also because it frankly became less
enjoyable.  The acting, screenwriting, and direction was often so cliched
and conventional that I could not help laughing.  Even _Futarikko_, which
my wife and I religiously watched and which was one of the better asaren
in a while, had a script full of holes (I can't believe it won most of
the TV scriptwriting awards that year--are standards that low?)  There
was little there that could stimulate me like the best of US or British
TV (though I think the latter are not that much better).  There really
wasn't anything "good" on.

But I have not given up on TV for several reasons.  First, because I do
think that if you search for a while and give some programs a chance,
there are still quite a few that are enjoyable.  TV Tokyo, for instance,
regularly does special late night half-hour dramas directed by the
feature film directors whose films we laud: Shinozaki Makoto, Mochizuki
Rokuro, Kazama Shiori, et al.  Right now, they are doing a series of
adaptations of the manga of Tsuge Yoshiharu on Monday nights. (By the
way, did anyone tape the episode directed by Mochizuki?  I missed that.)
Obayashi Nobuhiko still does TV work and that is always worth watching.

_Shinseiki Evangelion_, for all its problems (ideological, gender-wise,
etc.), was still a compelling and engrossing anime that rightly caused a
national sensation.

One of the recent trends in TV has been to have talento put their bodies
on the line taking on challenges that are then recorded in a kind of
documentary fashion.  _Denpa shonen_ is the primary example of this, but
_Urinari_ (done by the same producer) is less exaggerated and often more
compelling.  While recently it has become more of an example of how to
manipulate the consumer behavior of the audience (e.g., Black Bisquits
and save Vivian Su), some of the episodes, like shako dance and Dover
Odanbu, have moments of "realism" (however constructed they are) which
are refreshing.  When the Dover Odanbu in one episode basically
criticized the producer and the demands the program made on them, we were
seeing a side of the process which is not usually revealed.

Some TV news can be good, like Tsukushi Tetsuya.  I wish there was more
activist political and investigative journalism, but even a light show
like _Uwasa no Tokyo Magazine_ can sometimes do some hard-hitting reports.

As for TV game shows, while I don't watch it myself, _Shiawase no kazuko
keikaku_ was recently selected the best TV game show at a major TV
festival in Europe--the first time any Japanese TV program has won a
prize.  It has been so well received abroad, it is being copied right and
left.

I mentioned Ninety-Nine in a previous post.  My wife and I regularly
watch their programs because we do think they are two of the funnier
comedians on TV today (I've liked them since _Kishiwada shonen gurentai_,
which is a very good movie).  While _Guruguru_ and _Mecha2_ have more
misses than hits, there are some shows which are hilarious and reveal
their comic talent.

Comedy is thus worth a try.  We also check out _Karakuri terebi_ because
Nakamura Tamao can sometimes pull off some brilliant gags that make the
whole show worthwhile.  There are many talented comedians on TV, from
Takeshi to Utchan Nanchan, and their style of ad-lib gag comedy can often
provide a good time.

As a long-time fan of comedy, however, I cannot say I am satisfied with
TV comedy here.  There is little of the well-scripted, well-acted TV
comedy one saw on _Monty Python_, _Mary Tyler Moore_, _Murphy Brown_, or
_Seinfeld_.  They can't have that because of the production process here.
 When Takeshi does 10 programs a week and Ninety-nine four or five, they
neither have the time nor the energy to make a good script and rehearse
it.  One reason well-scripted comedy is lacking on TV in Japan is because
TV is dominated by manzai and other vaudeville styles that stress
ad-libs, slapstick, and repeated gags.  There is a long tradition of that
kind of comedy, but one must also emphasize that such comedy exists on TV
not merely because "Japanese" like it (for some "cultural" reason), but
also because it best fits the mode of production (fast, cheap and in
quantity) that dominates TV.  Looking at cinema, there is a lot of
well-scripted comedy out there, but little of it has moved to TV.

But this is not a reason to give up on TV comedy.  One of the clues of
watching Japanese TV is to try to find how best to watch it.  I think
this is a major point, for in the end - and please excuse me, David - I
have problems with the attitude that damns all of Japanese TV.  First, I
think it can easily align with a classic form of Orientalism: the
Japanese make "bad" and "primitive" TV while we in the West do it much
better (I'm not saying this is what David is declaring, but we all know
this attitude exists).  It degrades Japan in order to make the West a
model for it to copy.

Another problem with damning Japanese TV is that it damns the tens of
millions of people who watch it and think its good.  One can argue that
they are all ignorant and don't know what's good, but I can't side with
that kind of elitism.  One of the issues is to find out how people enjoy
TV.  My wife insists, for instance, that most people who watch TV dramas
do not watch them seriously: they watch them parodically, making fun of
them as much as they get into them (and the producers know this, she
claims--most of what is excessive in these shows is there on purpose).
While I don't fully buy that, it does pose the possibility that Japanese
TV cannot be evaluated simply by its form and content: we must take how
it is watched into account.  _Plan 9 From Outer Space_ may be an awful
film, but in the right viewing mode, it is great.  Maybe many Japanese TV
viewers are also, in their own way, making Japanese TV good and worth
watching.  They are thus smarter than "we" think and "we" should do our
best to try to appreciate those modes of viewing.  (In that spirit, I
have tried to rethink my attitudes towards ad-lib, slapstick comedy, for
instance).

You can disagree with what I think is "good," but arguing over taste is
an often fruitless endeavor.  More interesting is thinking about how
taste is produced and shaped and how it functions--or can be
strategically used--in popular culture.

One final point.  Despite my urge that we do not throw out Japanese TV, I
still do think we should look at this historically.  While I have still
not seen anywhere near enough, I do get the impression from my limited
viewing that Japanese TV was better than it is now.  With scriptwriters
like Kuramoto So, Yamada Taiichi, and Mukoda Kuniko, dramas were
well-written and often featured top actors and directors.  Check out
_Kizudarake no tenshi_ or even _Taiyo ni hoero_ on video and you can see
a more complex, existential--dare we say "real"--attitude towards the
story than we see today.  There was also a lot of formal experimentation:
Jissoji Akio's _Ultra Seven_ shows were better than most of the
avant-garde films of the day.  Even kids manga like _Umi no Toriton_ and
_Yokai ningen Bemu_ had a dark, tragic tone to them that touched the
heart of children more than the fake heroism of _Dragon Ball_.  Much of
this was due to the times: manga in those days was also more complex, I
would argue.  But we should also look to see how modes of production and
viewing have changed since then, especially in relation to shifts in
leisure patterns and the structure of the viewing space, to understand
why TV has followed a different road.

Damning TV reminds me too much of the old damning of popular cinema.  It
wasn't art so it was not worthing looking at, much less studying.
Changes in attitude--in particular a critique of both the high art/low
art division and the belief that only "art" is worth studying--were
crucial in bringing popular cinema back into the spotlight.  I think this
is necessary with Japanese TV as well.

Aaron Gerow
YNU