TV in Japan

Michael Badzik mike
Thu Aug 27 21:52:40 EDT 1998

I wasn't going to respond to the dare that started this thread. But then
Aaron wrote a very insightful response to it that I would like to make
a few comments on:

>But I gradually stopped watching dramas. ... The acting, screenwriting,
>and direction was often so cliched and conventional that I could not
>help laughing.

This is true more often than not. But not watching means missing the
exceptions like _Aoi Tori_, _Aishiteiru to Ittekure_,
_Age 35, Koishikute_, _Furuhata Ninzaburou_, to name a few.

>Even _Futarikko_, which my wife and I religiously watched and which
>was one of the better asaren in a while, had a script full of holes
>(I can't believe it won most of the TV scriptwriting awards
>that year--are standards that low?)

Aaron, you wrote about how we must pay attention to modes of viewing;
I certainly watch NHK morning dramas differently than I would an
evening drama or a movie, and suspect a lot of other longtime viewers
do too (and so am curious as to how it was received by your wife). I have
long imagined that inside NHK was a check list of requirements that any
story considered for the morning drama series must have (e.g. young
female hero, either she or her parents work in a "traditional" Japanese
field, despite continual obstacles and adversity success is found
through working hard and never giving up, and in the end realizing that
the traditional Japanese ways are the best). So one has to look past
these obligatory inclusions to see what the story is really about; I see
here a story that often questions tradition and satirizes Japanese
society in a gentle way (something also done in _Otona no Otoko_, the
other Oishi Shizuka written drama on the air here now). From one
perspective one certainly could bemoan the cliches, from mine I am
impressed at how many it avoided.

>As for TV game shows, while I don't watch it myself, _Shiawase no
>kazuko keikaku_ was recently selected the best TV game show at a
>major TV festival in Europe--the first time any Japanese TV program
>has won a prize.  It has been so well received abroad, it is being copied
>right and left.

Japan also produced _Naruhodo the World_ -  an absolutely brilliant
concept as well as one of the best game shows ever. It was also copied
right and left, and you can still see the influence it had in other game
shows. It had an impact on society as well during its fifteen year run
that was both significant and fascinating.

>As a longtime fan of comedy, however, I cannot say I am satisfied with
>TV comedy here.  There is little of the well-scripted, well-acted TV
>comedy one saw on _Monty Python_, _Mary Tyler Moore_, _Murphy
>Brown_, or _Seinfeld_.

One of the funniest shows that I have ever seen, and one of the few
Japanese shows that might be classed as a sit com, was the Furuhata
spinoff/takeoff _Imaizumi Shintarou_ starring Nishimura Masahiko and
written by Mitani Koki. It is available on video if you have never seen it.

The comedy  dramas written by Mitani that I have seen
(_Furuhata Ninzaburou_ and _Ousama no Resutoran_) were quite good as
well.

>While I have still not seen anywhere near enough, I do get the
>impression from my limited viewing that Japanese TV was better
>than it is now.

This does seem to be the conventional wisdom, and it might even be
true. But it is also true that an awful lot of the Japanese television
that I saw ten or twenty years ago wasn't very good or original. A good
case could be made that the variety segment is actually improving. You
rightly point to the (critical) failure of the television adaptations of
manga author Saimon Fumi's _Tokyo Love Story_ and _Asunaro Hakusho_,
but I found the adaptation of her _Age 35, Koishikute_ to be
entertaining and provocative. _Aoi Tori_ had a famous writer, very
capable actors, and lot to say. Mitani's works are the most sophisticated
comedies I have seen on Japanese television (for anyone who can't lower
themselves to watch television at least rent his movie _Rajio no Jikan_).
So even if it is true that television is not as good as it used to be,
there
are still things on that are worth watching.

Michael Badzik
mike at vena.com